Teaching & Learning
Teaching & Learning
Harris Primary Academy Kent House provides an exciting, personalised learning curriculum, which supports and challenges all of our students and is at the heart of our teaching and learning philosophy. We ensure that all teaching and support staff have access to the highest quality training programmes to provide the most innovative and cutting edge learning opportunities for every student.
The Academy aims to:
- Meet the needs and aspirations of all students
- Ensure all students can successfully access the curriculum offer, making any reasonable adjustments required where particular needs are identified
- Recognise high achieving students and ensure they are given opportunities to stretch and challenge their learning
- Plan opportunities for students to develop their personal potential
- Establish an agreed range of policies and practices to guarantee a consistent approach towards learning and teaching in every classroom.
- Involve all staff in developing and improving the quality of learning and teaching
- Provide all staff with developmental opportunities to extend and enhance their range of teaching and repertoires
- Develop staff to deliver skills beyond their own subject specialism and incorporate cross curricular initiatives, in particular Literacy, and Numeracy
- Identify students’ achievements and areas for improvement, through rigorous monitoring of progress and to plan appropriate interventions to enhance learning
Our curriculum is formed from various elements.
We follow the new national curriculum to teach literacy and numeracy. Full information can be found by clicking on the following link; https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/national-curriculum.
For our foundation subjects, we use the International Primary Curriculum. This has been chosen because it offers children a thematic approach to learning that focuses on the knowledge, skills and understanding children need to develop into global citizens.
We ensure that children enjoy at least one enrichment activity per half term- that might be a trip or a visitor coming into school.
An overview of each year group's learning for each half term can be opened in the document below.
Our pedagogical approach to teaching is explained in our teaching and learning policy which can be found in our policies section.
Our annual overview can be downloaded below.